Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Students

Our student received the highest award at the speech competition a few weeks ago.  She was thrilled, except for the fact that her classmate also got the highest award.  Her classmate is the headmistress's daughter and apparently quite a bitch.

We have a new student starting soon.  She just finished taking her SATs, TOEFL, and the like.  She wants us to teach her AP Physics and stuff like that.  I figure if she already knows physics, why doesn't she just use a dictionary to translate those words?  While meeting with her about a month ago, she would constantly roll her eyes at me and speak rudely.  But $35/hour is good money and she can roll her eyes at me all she wants for that price.

I am constantly amazed by the amount of kids here that are being forced to learn English beyond what is taught at their schools.  Even more amazing is the price that these parents are willing to pay!  When I first arrived here, I was told that 100 RMB/hour (about $15) is an average price for a one-to-one class with a native speaker.  About a year or two later, the price went up to 150 RMB.  At one point, we had so many students and I had no evening off that I started telling people that classes were 200 RMB/hour.  I did this assuming most would say that was too expensive and I would be able to have some time off.  As of now, I have one evening with no students.  It's nice and it sucks at the same time.

On that note, gotta get ready for another class.  9 year old.  Our first class with him is tonight.

No comments: