Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Background

It all started as a freshman in college at Southwest Missouri State University-West Plains. It was my first semester; Fall 2002. I was eagerly waiting for my class to end, for my teacher to quit her endless droning about whatever it was that she was talking about. I had only a few minutes left of listening to her talk when she suddenly stopped and changed the subject. She began talking about a study abroad program that the school was offering. I perked up and started paying attention at the phrase "study abroad". She went on to explain that our school had a branch campus in Dalian, China and anyone interested could get an application from her after class.

Being interested in travel ever since I could remember I went and talked to her after class and got my information packet. I learned that they only accepted 2 students every semester. Since there were plenty of people that were picking up info packets I thought I wouldn't be accepted. After an application, an essay, and an application fee I began waiting to find out if I would be chosen to travel to China for a semester.

Weeks passed. During this semester, my grandmother passed away. I told all my teachers that I would be missing some class since I had to travel to California for Grandma's funeral. They gave me my homework and wished me a safe trip. One night while at Uncle Chuck and Aunt Lori's house after the funeral I was checking my email. There it was. An email from the Dean explaining that he had heard I was out of town but didn't want to make me wait any longer for the status of my application. I had been accepted for the study abroad program in China! I raced through the house to find my family and tell them the news. I nearly slid into the kitchen counters because I was wearing socks and running on marble (or some other slick stone) floors.

A couple months later, early February 2003, I was boarding a plane with another student and some teachers from Springfield. The semester went well and I made many friends. The semester went so well, in fact, that I asked to stay another semester and was allowed to.

When I left China in January 2004, I wasn't very sad. Naturally, I was sad that I wouldn't be seeing many of my good friends for a long time but somehow I knew that I would be returning some day and that I would see these friends again.

No comments: